Wednesday 27 July 2022

Simplicity and Drama: The views of the pathway to the magical secret woods, views and vistas.

Lockdown is probably the last thing that is on people's minds, but for me as a landscape photographer it offered “something of an opportunity to discover new locations.” And, one of those locations thankfully was local; especially when we were “being told to stay at home and protect the NHS.” But, we were still allowed under quite convoluted rules to have exercise and to explore the locality; plenty of people discovered new things and I did, in this case it was probably the most delightful and hidden spot that I have come across, somewhere magical and somewhere largely secretive that is a sanctuary for both walkers and wildlife. Yes the Nottinghamshire countryside might be upon first appearances as not much of a heaven for landscape photography, but I completely disagree - Nottinghamshire offers so much for the landscape photographer with rolling hills, interesting views and of course hidden villages, some of them even having delightful village greens. But on top of that Nottinghamshire happens to be famous for woodland and of course forests, the kind of forests which Robin Hood used to reside within and subsequently have some questionable adventures. Yes a contrast of a county is what Nottinghamshire is.

However though yesterday I had found myself at Alma Hill, a high point located just on the outer fringes of Kimberley, a Nottinghamshire town, not too far from the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border, and Alma Hill sounds like it could just be any ordinary hill and that it is, residential housing; but then look due North West from here and vista’s are all around as far as they eye can see. Of course though something is unique about Alma Hill, and it is the starting point of a walk that takes you to the magical secret and enchanting woodland that I discovered during Lockdown. I had walked just a short distance down the path and immediately had to stop; for to the left of me and behind me the sunshine was basking the landscape and yet straight ahead in the direction of Greasley Church, imposing menacing skies lay ahead, dark and often referred to as “Bill’s Mother” for some reason; and I managed to capture the following.

Greasley vista from Alma Hill - (Landscape).

Greasley vista from Alma Hill - (Portrait).

Greasley Framed - (Landscape).

Greasley Framed - (Portrait).

I continued down this magical undulating pathway; the old road becoming more apparent with old bricks and stones that would have once carried wondering shoes on them; in a time before the motor vehicle was even thought of, and the footpath, the old stones and bricks got the mind thinking; for what stories would they tell of a time when things would have been different, more simple than what they are now; I walked a little further and then paused for a minute, looking over the fields - something of simplicity stood out and the colour of the field and the big sky above me just spoke to me somehow, needless to say that I had to take the following photo.

Simplicity of farmland.

After a short pause I continued to walk, but then something to the left of me distracted me slightly, a view over the town which DH Lawrence used to call home; where he grew up and lived thus walked; yet in the distance the flanks of The Derbyshire Dales; with Crich Stand and The Windmills that sit above Carsington Water, just visible on the horizon some sixteen miles away as the crow flies. Now normally you would think of Nottinghamshire as being low lying, but no it is a county of Juxta Points and vistas in the most unexpected places.

Juxta Pointed.

Continuing on the footpath, trodden by many with stories to tell, I continued, noticing the changes in the landscape; subtle is what they were and yet the landscape parched, a contrast though with some greenery that is slowly beginning to return after a heatwave of extreme proportions in which the temperature in Nottinghamshire officially reached 39.8 degrees at Watnall Met Office Weather Station; although across the county I am pretty sure that the temperature did touch 40 degrees - needless to say though that the parched landscape in front of me with the rolling hills looking towards Derbyshire made for an interesting composition, and it was this simplicity that I just loved. I knew I had to capture the rolling serene scene that was in front of me.

As far as the eye can see - (Portrait).

As far as the eye can see - (Landscape).

Contrasts on the horizon.

Of course though one of the more interesting photographs above shows the contrast, to the left across the fields towards Derbyshire the skies were clear, yet as I turned around ever so slightly Bill’s Mother was still there adding something of a contrast, on the horizon you can clearly see some parched fields with a dramatic and imposing sky - the farm on the horizon being just off Narrow Lane. Needless to say that magic happened again and before long, the pathway ahead of me dipped, dropped downwards, down hill and a man with his dog walking up towards me was something I had to capture.

The walk up (Landscape).

The walk up - (Portrait).

The pathway with more exposed parts of the old road from yesteryear continued to fill me with curiosities and frames everywhere kept appearing with views over a parched arid landscape; for if we get a drought will it be our fault for ruining the planet that we live on? And if so should we instead respect the planet that we live on? Either way the framed compositions with the rolling hills made for another perspective photo opportunity that I had to capture; again with simplicity the frame and the views were something else.


Parched and Framed - (Portrait).

Parched and Framed - (Landscape).


Before long at the bottom of the hill, I looked to the right, another “big sky” and a footpath that I have walked both down and up, was in front of me, simply surrounded by clouds, blue skies that provided something of a portal, alien almost flanked by green crops and green trees - ethereal almost yet so calming; walking around the side of the gate I continued along the last bit of pathway before another portal this time,


Portal - (Landscape).

Portal - (Portrait).

“To the magical secret woods; for this is Watnall Woods and there is a sense of calm here. Sit on one of the two benches and you will be greeted with a symphony of music; the music of nature is what this is - birds, squirrels and other wildlife will greet you, all you need to do is to be patient and before long these woodlands will encroach themselves around you and you end up being on another planet away from the woes, worries and troubles that planet earth is in. Yet here you forget that you are on planet earth - for Watnall Woods feels like a world away and it is that which remains soothing and calm. For here it is true escapism.”

Looking back on me though in the distance, Winston; a local landmark and a wind turbine was visible on the horizon, basking under the late afternoon/early evening sun, framed by a tree and providing Energy for Severn Trent.


Winston Framed - (Portrait).

Winston Framed - (Landscape).


Now though I was in the woodland, magical and a world away from the pathway I had walked down, the light had changed - one of the benches to the left of me and a dream like light with greenery providing the frame and another view of the pathway that I had walked down, the light somewhat flat but I just loved how dreamlike it was.


Dream Framed.


I then sat down and before long the wildlife started to appear, only occasionally being disturbed by passers by, after the passers by had gone, the wildlife came back out again; squirrels and other small birds came to eat and to talk in only a language that they can; for me that language translated into one of nature's music, a symphony somehow of pure natural music that should be heard, that is both blissful and beautiful.


No one can see me, or can they?

Feeding time.

Line of sight is the Squirrel.


After immersing myself in the music of nature I noticed the inner beauty of the woodland and behind me the views across the barley, I captured the following two photographs.


Dreams over Landscape - (Portrait).

Dreams over Barley - (Landscape).


But then the beauty of Watnall Wood began to catch my eyes, artwork all over and the textures and patterns along with shapes within the wood stood out, for it was like a living art gallery and one that just spoke with it’s own words, in front of me surrounded by greenery was a leaf, a yellow colour leaf just perfectly framed and the rest of the woodland was like an art gallery with pictures everywhere that just needed to be discovered.


Living artwork.

Yellow framed by green - (Landscape).

Yellow framed by green - (Portrait).

Golden under glow of the woods - (Portrait).

Golden under glow of the woods - (Landscape).


Exit? For I had to say goodbye to the woodlands that I had been enjoying, that had provided serenity and serendipity along with artwork and of course the music of nature - for I had just walked a short distance from the woods back on the path that I had walked down and looked to the right, the skies still dark and dramatic, the scene of rolling hills and the drama of the skies was something else, again Greasley Church dominating the skyline and providing a focal point amongst the landscape was like a marriage to some degree, a marriage of landscape and architecture.


Layers - (Landscape).

Layers - (Portrait).

Church to the left, Nature all around.

Through fields towards.


Eventually I reached the gate, but then I looked left, a driveway leading down to some glorious properties that remain largely hidden was now in front of me with an ethereal light shining down, golden in colour; and magical, like something from a TV Drama perhaps?


A magic slice of light.

I continued, the views had changed again and the simplicity and drama within the landscape was just speaking to me again and in front of me a golden parched field, ahead of that Winston and something of a slightly unusual composition came about, I lowered the camera slightly and this was the end result. Needless to say that I like it.


Winston's Golden Glow. 

Before long, I managed to get to the top of the hill, for here the views had changed and the vistas had also changed, to the right of me again the retail park with a certain Swedish furniture store and another perspective of Winston and in front of me the view across the Nottinghamshire countryside towards Leicestershire on the horizon.


Certain Swedish Furniture Store.

Leicestershire on the horizon.

However, I then looked back, for I had finished this walk and behind me something magical, the skies were full of drama, saying a humble goodbye and the countryside was rolling, the hills and the views and vistas had been something else.


Green meets Bill's Mother.

Split of the skies.

Rolling towards Drama.

For this walk had been truly magical, a walk that I first discovered during Lockdown, that ever since has always thrown up many surprises, gems and views. Ever changing yes but one that always has something else to offer no matter what the time of year it is, and maybe just maybe it offers something else because it is so unique; for the simplicity and drama along with the views of the pathway that changes moment by moment is just something truly magical that you simply have to experience, for I have and even to this date it is a relatively undiscovered place to walk that offers so much more, that just proves that Nottinghamshire is a county of photogenic secrets and I think this just proves that. Now then, when will Autumn arrive so I can retrace my steps and experience the bold colours of artwork that nature provides? Guess I shall have to wait a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Three locations within "close proximity." But how the views had something different. The beauty of roadside photography.

Landscape Photography comes with many assumptions and one of those assumptions is that it has to be done in remote places; where very often ...